There are a number of published articles online considering whether it makes sense to spend the extra money on sun protective clothing versus regular clothing?
In this blog we put forward 10 reasons why we think sun protection clothing is worth it:
1. Specialist sun protection clothing gives you the piece of mind that the fabrics have been chosen which are indeed sun protective.
Until a fabric is formally tested it is not clear what level of protection you are getting from your clothing. A regular t-shirt may only have a UPF as low as 5, equivalent to wearing SPF5 sunscreen which means that 20% of UV rays are penetrating the fabric. This compares to a fabric which has been tested and rated UPF50+, which is equivalent to wearing SPF50+ sunscreen and lets through less than 2% of UV rays.
2. Sun protection clothing incorporates functional design to minimise direct sun exposure to your skin.
Sun protective clothing or sun hat is specifically designed with sun protection in mind. A sun protective shirt is likely to include collars, long sleeves and thumb holes so that you can protect the back of your hands. A sun protective sun hat will include a broad brim and may include other features like a legionnaire flap to protect your neck and ears.
3. Specialised UPF 50+ sun protective clothing is comfortable to wear in hot, sunny conditions.
As well as the excellent UPF 50+ rating and functional design best in class sun protective clothing will also utilise fabrics that are lightweight, moisture wicking and breathable so that they are comfortable to wear in hot, sunny conditions.
4. Sun protective clothing brands have come a long way in the last decade, there are now a number of stylish options available.
There are a number of specialised sun protective clothing brands including our own which are focused on providing sun protective clothing ranges. It is now possible to wear sun protective clothing, be smart and look smart at the same time.
5. Wearing sun protective clothing in sunny conditions can be cooler than being exposed to direct sunlight.
Some sun protective clothing brands sometimes use fabric technologies that exist which can make you feel cooler versus allowing your skin to be directly exposed to sunlight.
6. The medical experts say it makes sense. Dermatologists universally agree that sun protective clothing and broad brim sun hats are the best way to protect yourself from UV radiation.
Wearing a UPF50+ shirt is equivalent to getting the benefit of SPF50+ sunscreen but with greater certainty of protection because a shirt provides consistent protection whereas sunscreen can rub off or become less effective through perspiration or the general passage of time.
7. Sunscreen is a useful means of sun protection, but is less effective than equivalent sun protective clothing.
Most people apply less sunscreen than is recommended and then forget to reapply every two hours to help maintain the protection level. This leaves them susceptible to sunburn, skin ageing and increased likelihood of skin cancer.
8. In the unfortunate event that someone develops a melanoma, the initial expense of sun protective clothing is minimal versus the cost of treating melanoma skin cancer where you are exposed to the cost of treatment.
If there isn’t government or private health insurance support the cost of remedial surgery or a course of drugs can cost many thousands of dollars.
9. Up to 90% of skin ageing is due to overexposure to sunlight.
Forget moisturisers and corrective surgery, the secret to youthful skin is to limit your exposure to sunlight.
10. Buying a sun protective shirt is an investment in your long-term health.
Sun protective clothing protects the largest organ we have and we can’t trade it for another one.
Solbari Sun Protection is the leading Australian sun protective clothing brand with customers in over 60 countries. Solbari offers an award-winning range of UPF50+ sun protective clothing, sun hats, arm-sleeves and umbrellas.
You can find out more about Solbari's certified UPF50+ sun protective range by clicking the blue links below:
Sun hats UPF50+
The Solbari Team
This blog is for information purposes only, always consult your medical professional
At SOLBARI we encourage individuals to enjoy the outdoors while protecting themselves from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays.
One way to protect yourself is with SOLBARI sun protective clothing. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, sun protective clothing is the single most effective form of sun protection for the body.
SOLBARI sun protective clothing is a great way to shield your skin from the sun's ultraviolet rays, which harm the skin and account for around 85% of melanomas and 95% of non melanoma skin cancers.
Here, we bust the myths about melanoma, skin cancer and sun protection. We give you healthy tips about UPF50+ sun protective clothing and SPF50+ sunscreen.
There are a number of ways that you can protect your skin to prevent skin cancer.