Here are some reminders...
Every year in Australia, skin cancers account for around 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers.
Between 95 and 99% of skin cancers are caused by exposure to the sun and General Practitioners have over 1 million patient consultations per year for skin cancer in Australia.
Sun exposure has been identified as the cause of 95% to 99% of skin cancers in Australia (source: Cancer Concil Australia).
These statistics are dramatic, but the good news is that skin cancer is also identified as the most preventable form of cancer in Australia (source: Sunsmart Australia).
There are a number of ways that you can protect your skin to prevent skin cancer.
- Wear SOLBARI sun protective clothing that cover large areas of the skin.
- Wear a SOLBARI sun hat with which blocks all the sun light
- Wear sunglasses with a UV index of 3 to protect your eyes, the polarized ones tend to be more comfortable especially when on the water or fishing
- Seek protection in the shade when possible
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that provides protection from both UVA and UVB rays when the UV index hits 3 or above.
- Do not sunburn
- Do not use solariums
- Remember it’s the UV radiation index that burns you, not the temperature!
We all know the saying prevention is the best medicine, well in the prevention of skin cancer this is absolutely true!
- Check your own skin every month. It takes 10 minutes and saves lives.
- Ask a family member or a friend or use a mirror for the areas which are hard to see (such as the back of the neck).
- Use a hairdryer on low heat to inspect your scalp.
- Keep a journal of your spots and moles.
- Report any spots or moles which are changing to your local GP or dermatologist.
Remember that skin cancers, especially melanomas can occur on non sun-exposed sites such as the groin and feet. Did you know Bob Marley died of malignant melanoma under the nail of one of his toes? Remember to check all areas of the body, including between your toes, fingers and nails.
SOLBARI sun protective clothing, swimwear and sun hats are rated UPF50+, which is the highest sun protection factor for fabrics.
SOLBARI garments cover large areas of the skin and our sun hats have a brim length which is compliant with the Cancer Council brim length recommendations.
Thanks for reading!
The SOLBARI TEAM