At SOLBARI, we believe that prevention is the best cure. According to medical experts, this is particularly true when it comes to skin cancer and melanoma.
Sun exposure has been identified as the cause of 95% to 99% of skin cancers in Australia.
Now, don't get us wrong. We are not suggesting you live in a cave or indoors when the sun is out, but rather than you use intelligent sun protective measures to help keep your skin safe when outdoors in the sun.
1) Apply broad spectrum (that blocks UVA and UVB rays) sunscreen generously on all exposed areas of your skin 20 minutes before going out. Reapply every 2 hours and after you've been for a swim or if sweating.
2) Wear sun protective clothing with a UPF50+, which is the highest sun protective rating available on the market. This rating is equivalent to wearing SPF50+ sunscreen all day long and blocks UVA and UVB rays. Remember that not all clothing and fabrics protect the same from the sun. A regular white summer t-shirt has a UPF of 5, which is equivalent to wearing SPF5 sunscreen and lets harmful UV rays penetrate the skin. If you are wearing SOLBARI Sun Protective Clothing, then you only need to apply sunscreen on areas not covered by your SOLBARI clothing.
3) Wear a broad brim hat with a UPF50+ to block UVA and UVB rays.
4) Wear sunglasses that block UV Radiation.
5) Seek shade when possible. Remember that even on cloudy days, 80% of UV can penetrate the clouds.
Remember that heat is not equal to UV. Even on cooler sunny days, the UV can still be strong and sun protection is recommended.
When it comes to detecting a skin cancer, as Associate Professor Rosemary Nixon from the Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc. says, "the earlier a skin cancer is identified and treated, the better the chance of avoiding surgery, or in the case of a serious melanoma or skin cancer, potential disfigurement or even death."
The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc., recommend you develop a regular habit of checking your skin for new spots and changes to existing moles or freckles.
If you require more information about skin cancer prevention, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you. Alternatively, please visit our website for information about our UPF50+ products.
Thanks for reading,
The SOLBARI Team
This blog post is for information purpose only.
We are delighted to announce that SOLBARI won last night a Healthy Skin Award presented by The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc. We thank The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc. for their ongoing support of SOLBARI and Ego Pharmaceuticals for sponsoring the Award. The Healthy Skin Awards are presented by The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc. to individuals and organisations "who strive for excellence through the effective provision of skin health services and the promotion of skin health."